The Kosher Gourmet
Italian Tomato Bean Salad served with BrushettaIngredients:
- 1/2 Italian plum tomatoes cut in a quarter inch dice or smaller
- Tablespoon of coarsely chopped fresh basil
- Teaspoon of chopped fresh oregano
- Teaspoon of salt
- Teaspoon of coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons of good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces of navy beans (from can with kosher certification or
precooked from the dry beans)
- Toasted slices of French bread, brushetta or challah
Toss the ingredients together in a large bowl and allow to sit for at least 1/2 hour. The salt will draw out the juice of the tomatoes.
Serve immediately after spooning the salad over the bread.
This dish is fool proof and never fails to make a good impression. It is perfect for Shabbat Lunch and it needs no warming.